05 August 2012

Studio Sunday - Binding!

Today I put the Sketchbook Project (SBP) book back together... armed with a paper piecer, some embroidery needles and some metallic thread!

This was definitely not as easy as I thought it would be! At one point I almost thought I ruined it, but then I found a work-around. I started out marking my holes on a sheet of watercolor paper cut to the same size as my pages, and pushing through them with the paper piercer.

Being that I had a cover, two watercolor inserts and all the blank pages, you'd think I'd remember to keep my punching template in the same direction for all of them. Apparently, I must have flipped it when I did the cover! Luckily, it ended up not being a big deal... I flipped it the correct way and you can't even see the extra holes.

Next, I took my needle and thread and worked it through the holes, going in and out so the spine outside and inside was fully covered by the thread.

I left a bit of fringe hanging out over the edge...

And then cut several lengths of the different colors of metallic thread to tie around the binding.

Now I have lots of metallic fringe hanging over the edge of the book. When I'm done filling all the pages, I'll add some sun, moon and stars beads to them.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do next week yet... Check back and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment