31 March 2013

Studio Sunday!

I spent some time puttering about in the studio today... mostly waiting for stuff to dry! I found out about a 6x6 canvas project... http://www.roco6x6.org/6x6x2013_intro.php Not sure if I'll be able to make the deadline or not, but we'll see how it goes.

I started out by making a star in glue on my canvas... I've done this in watercolor to act as a resist, and wanted to see if I could do a similar effect with acrylics.



It took forever to dry though, so I ended up speeding up the process with a hair dryer. In the meantime, I decided to do the same thing on a couple tiny canvases I had lying around, and a spread in my new Moleskine sketchbook.


The glue still wasn't all the way dry yet, but I decided to paint anyways. I quickly learned that the glue wasn't going to resist the acrylic anyways...


So I just started playing around with some texture... I'm going with a black, brown and white palette for this, trying for a dark chocolate/caramel effect in the end, with some metallics for emphasis.


After sponging on a little more black paint, I added some strips of torn foil paper with cut-out stars... There will eventually be more stars (of course!) and a quote cut up and placed around the edges of the center star, which I will have to paint on top of my background.

To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment