30 January 2012

Just Do It Already!


"The beginning is the most important part of the work. " - Plato, Republic

It's still January for another 24 hours or so, so I've technically met my goal to get this blog started in January!

As an artist, I've been in a dry spell for too long. I tend to have large bursts of art-making, usually fueled by an idea for a series, followed by long periods of inactivity where I just tend to gather inspiration for the next go-round. But like many artistic souls, that's just not enough for me. I want to create on a more regular basis, hang out with the Muses more often.

Once upon a time, I used to work at a Kinko's. I would take the waste paper and spiral-bind my own custom sketchbooks. I'd fill them with doodles, planning sketches for paintings or collages, words and ideas that I found inspiring, to-do lists and journaling about what was going on in my life. Somewhere along the way, I lost touch with the sketchbook habit, but looking back I see that when I kept one, I was at my most creative.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a sucker for a pretty journal. I collect them like sweaters collect fuzzballs. I have every size of Moleskine imaginable, a few fancy books from Barnes & Noble, sketchbooks from the art supply store and a ton of cheap, skinny journals from the dollar bins at Michael's. But they've sat around here so long, either unused or only partially used, never being filled to overflowing like my old wastepaper journals. I've finally taken them off the shelf and committed to actually USING them. I know, what a concept, right?

What I hope for this blog is to get back into making art on a regular - if not daily - basis. And when I do, I'll post it here. I work mostly in mixed media and collage, acrylic or watercolor. My art tends to mostly be about spiritual or emotional themes: my gods and goddesses and their myths (sacred symbolic stories), ancient philosophy, astrology/astronomy, abstract representations of emotions and feelings, and some art journaling to vent about life. If that sounds like the kind of stuff that interests you, bookmark this blog and check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment